Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sharpen Your Saw This Summer



Stephen R. Covey, author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, reminds us of the powerful habit for leaders, to sharpen the saw. I have created my own personal list of how I will sharpen my own saw this summer.



In the next 10 days, I will...

1. Spend some quality time with family and friends.

2. Read at least on of the books stacked up that I pulled, purchased and/or set aside to read.

3. Sign up for a summer workshop or conference, (especially here at Region 7.)

4. Learn something new through technology: listen to a podcast, a TED Talk, a Twitter feed, or a blog. 
I listen to a pod cast series called 'On Being' with Krista Tippett and enjoy how she explores the complications and beauty of human life. (@Beingtweets)
5. Let nature nurture: take a walk, ride a bike, or paddle a boat where the cooler breezes blow.



Self improvement takes time -- just like working out and getting fit. Self-improvement is a never-ending upward spiral of 'Learn, Commit, Do'.   Covey suggests targeting 1 hour a day just for you, which can be a challenge in itself.  But perhaps if we start this summer, we will get that important habit in place.

So, how do you sharpen your saw?

No comments:

Post a Comment